Sunday, August 15, 2010

Concept Mapping
















I tested both of the concept map programs 'bubbl.us' and ‘text2mindmap’. I enjoyed figuring out the different functions and found that it was a good activity to review the learning from week 1. I discovered that ‘bubbl.us’ was my preferred choice to make a concept map. I liked this program because it was simple and user friendly. I first tried to use the ‘text2mindmap’ but found that bubbles were lying over the top of each other impeding information and the bubbles were difficult to move.

The ‘bubbl.us’ program was easier to position bubbles and edit the concept map, but I found it time consuming to enter information into the bubbles. The ‘text2mindmap’ program was a lot easier to enter data and facts, but the editing and positioning of the bubbles was very difficult.

I believe that concept maps are a valuable tool to make sense of copious amounts of confusing information. Concept mapping is a very effective tool to help children organise declarative knowledge. Marzano and Pickering, (1997) state that it helps students to store and understand how to organise large amounts of information.

Reference List
Marzano, R.J., & Pickering, D.J. (1997). Dimensions of Learning – Teacher’s Manual. Alexandria, VA, USA: ASCD

No comments:

Post a Comment