I too prefer the Engagement Theory over the Big6. I compared the two different frameworks in a Venn diagram and found that there are more benefits using the Engagement Theory rather than the Big6. I feel that the cognitive processes that the Engagement Theory activates are extremely important. I think these processes provide students with the essentials to become life long learners.

At first I didn’t see the similarities between Engagement Theory and Dimensions of Learning, but after reading your points I definitely agree with you. The Engagement Theory provides opportunities throughout the Relate, Create and Donate phases to work with peers, relate tasks to students’ interests and encourages students to figure out new information for themselves. Harlow and Harlow (as cited in Brandler and Roman, 1999, p.2) discovered that when humans are in their developing years and do not experience group interaction they are more at risk of developing problems in functioning and suffering from social and psychological impairment. I find that when I am working on foreign material it is always helpful to collaborate with others to ensure I’m on the right path. I also like to see peers points of view, as we all don’t think the same way.
Marzano and Pickering (1997, p.13) believe “when our attitudes and perceptions are positive, learning is enhanced; when they are negative, learning suffers”. Through collaborative learning and authentic tasks students will have an engaging positive attitude towards learning therefore learning will be enhanced.
References:
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved August 12, 2010, from Engagement Theory: http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm
Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. M. (1997). Dimensions of Learning - Teacher's Manual. Denver, CO: Midcontinent Regional Educational Laboratory.
Venn Diagram: http://s0175690.blogspot.com/2010/08/venn-diagram-big6-vs-engagement-theory.html
No comments:
Post a Comment